Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Day 5 Down

Well, Day 5 of NaNoWriMo has come and gone, and I'm on track with my word count. So far I've written 8,670 words, about a hundred more than where I need to be by now.

It's a good thing I got myself ahead on days 1 and 2...I knew that I wouldn't get anything written on Election Day (Nov 4), and I surely didn't. Too busy voting and celebrating!

The writing has been a real difficult slog so far, with only a few isolated moments where things started to pick up and I felt a breeze at my back.

To be fair, the first scene I'm writing is perhaps one of the hardest...a lot of exposition, a lot of introducing characters and their agendas, explaining the politics of the time. I'm sure during the editing phase I'll find ways to make this whole sequence more interesting. But for my first draft, this first scene is comparable to that first big hill on a roller coaster ride. You ride a roller coaster for all the thrills and chills, but the first thing you do when the thing starts moving is to rattle and bump your way up this long, steep climb. But once you get to the top, woo doggie, hold onto your hat!

I think this first draft is like that, a long climb up in scene 1, and after that, hold on, we got some exciting twists and turns, all at high speed! At least I hope it turns out that way. Thank god this is just a first draft, and it's ok if it's really bad. :-)