Wednesday, May 11, 2005

MayNoWriMo...of sorts

Several enterprising individuals have taken on the May writing challenge, May Novel Writing Month (MayNoWriMo). I opted out, but I haven't quit writing. I've been working on a nonfiction book on decisionmaking and how to make and use effective decisions to craft a satisfying and fulfilling life. I'm doing it quite informally, mostly just brainstorming on the same sheets of paper with a moderately sensible order to the content. I want to get everything I have to say about it down on paper first, then I'll work on editing it and preparing it for publication. It's been a really fun process, inciting me to observe in great detail about how I make decisions and what's underlying the process I engage in. I've learned a lot about myself, and have learned a lot about quality decisionmaking! (Never let the lack of academic credentials get in the way of a good opinion!)

Although I've had the idea for a while of writing a book like this, I was only recently compelled to actually start it when I realized that I was totally unprepared to teach my son as he grows up how to make decisions effectively to create the life he wants to live. I do not want to be caught flat-footed on that one! So that inspired me to actually start putting my ideas and experiences to paper. So far I've written just over 10,000 words, which is about 20 single-spaced pages.

The most powerful benefit of this process so far has been my active and conscious reclaiming of my own decisionmaking power: really my ability to be the deliberate architect of my dreams and life. Not only that, I'm gaining confidence in my ability to teach my son the same lessons. Hopefully by the time I finish the book (which I expect to be quite short), I'll have some wisdom of true value to share. And closer to the heart, I will leave to my son after my death a precious gift -- my very own words on ways he can use his personal power of choice to create an utterly fulfilling life for himself.

Now that's a good use for a dad. ;-)