Wednesday, October 22, 2008

NaNoWriMo 2008, Here I Come!

It's been a long time since I posted to this blog.

But I thought it worth mentioning that I am gearing up for National Novel Writing Month for this 2008, or NaNoWriMo as we like to call it, the annual November challenge to write a 50,000-word piece of original fiction in 30 days.

I've done NaNoWriMo twice before. My first effort resulted in a sci-fi book called Asteroid Burn, which I self-published on Lulu.com, and the second effort was a book called The Double Yellow Line, which never made it past the first draft.

This year, on my third outing, I'll be writing a book tentatively titled The Night of the Long Knives, a novelization of Adolf Hitler's brutal 3-day purge of the famous Sturmabteilung (SA), the Nazi Party's brown-shirted storm-troopers. I've been researching the topic for a couple months, and while I still feel a little shaky, there's no doubt that I know more now about Nazi history than I've ever known, and certainly more than any of my friends do. Which means that aside from some historians whose books I've read, I'm the most qualified person I know to write this story. At least, that's what I keep telling myself, whenever I think about writing the book and my knees start to knock!

I can't say I'll be blogging much about it -- I'll be burning all my energy on the manuscript! -- but whatever I do post will be available here at my writing blog, The Cordless Quill.

Wish me luck!