Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Introducing The "Writing Exercises" Series

Even when not working on a specific project, writers can still do short and simple pieces to keep their literary muscles limber. Athletes exercise and practice their craft in-season and out. Why not writers?

Each day in January 2005, I will be posting a writing exercise I came up with for myself, twenty-five of them in all. I like to think of them as games to play. The beauty of these exercises is that:

1) They exercise different kinds of writing (e.g., persuasive, biographical, journalistic, dialogue);
2) Each of them can be used repeatedly, using different situations or premises.

The exercises are also designed to encourage unconventional thinking (and writing) -- to turn your common world upside down and to present a unique side of life to explore, though doing so may require some effort on your part. Sometimes I have to stretch myself to see things from an unfamiliar angle.

May you find both fun and adventure in these humble, literary "expotitions" I'm about to share with you. (And don't be shy with the feedback.)

Write on!