Friday, November 26, 2004

NaNoWriMo Winner

Hi, everyone!

Just wanted to announce that I am one of the six thousand winners of the National Novel Writing Month challenge. The annual November contest: to write a 50,000-word piece of original fiction in 30 days or less.

My science fiction novel, Asteroid Burn, clocked in at 51,619 words, and I cranked it out in 21 brutal days.

I posted the work at http://asteroidburn.blogspot.com. Feel free to check it out.

My first acknowledgment goes to Mr. Chris Baty, the genius who founded National Novel Writing Month, and gave us thousands of aspiring writers the environment and opportunity to achieve one of life's greatest ambitions. Thank you, Chris! NaNoWriMo enabled me to break a 12-year noveling deadlock! And your great book, "No Plot? No Problem!", was a valuable and trusty guide throughout.

A well-deserved salute goes out to my mom, who also took and won the challenge.

Here's sending a big shout out to my NaNo pal Teri Anderson, who blogged a delightful and captivating diary of her experience. Keep blogging, Teri. You rock!

A hearty 'thank-you' goes to all my friends who cheered me on, quizzed me about my progress, and are now graciously tolerating my nonstop gloating.

Thanks to my son Sam, who was asked to endure hours of playing and reading at the local toy and bookstores -- and to eat a month's dinners of lunch snacks and café food -- while my fingers tapped my heart out this month.

And finally, the biggest hugs and kisses go to the love of my life, who endured my irritability, selfishness, chore-avoidance and general unavailability for the last three-and-a-half weeks. Thanks for your support, honey!

If you've ever wanted to write a novel, I urge you to join us next November and pen your opus. Just visit http://www.nanowrimo.org for more information.