Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Update from the Writer's Desk

Well, we're 12 days into National Novel Researching Month (NaNoReMo), and I've completed 22 hours of research (44%), the goal being 50 hours of research in January. My handy goal tracker tells me I'll finish on January 24th, a week early. Which is a good thing, because I need some planning time before I dive into February Novel Writing Month (FebNoWriMo), when I'll write another novel in February. February is a short month -- only 28 days -- but I completed the November challenge in 21 days, so I'm confident that I can do it.

All this month, I've been contemplating what I want to write in February. I'm spending January researching my first Mafia novel, but I don't know if I'll have enough research done to satisfy me when February hits. There is just so much information to grok, even for the period of 1900-1910 which seems sparsely documented to me, compared with other decades. The book is going to be a real piece of craft, by threading seamlessly together the rising and falling stars of the mob, evolving business practices, competition and intrigue among the various gangs, and all set within the context and language of the times. It's a very exciting project, and every day that I gather more information, I feel more hopeful that I can actually pull it off. I've been studying not only Mob history and personalities, but the larger American culture, politics, economy, lifestyles, controversies, and social trends occurring at the turn of the century. Again, I doubt 50 hours of research will be enough to even "wing it" when February comes, much less write the first draft well. On the balance, I've been building a lot of momentum on this subject this month, and there's something to be said for riding it through February. If I write a different book for February, then edit something else again in March for National Novel Editing Month (NaNoEdMo), it won't be until April that I come back to this project, and I'll have significant ramp-up time again.

Well, I'll just have to finish out January and see how I feel.

My fallback writing plan for February is a story idea called "The Double Yellow Line," a soul-searching drama about a rich but burnt-out personal-success coach who is "brought back to life" by an unexpected (and socially unfavorable) client. Hmm, might make a better movie than a book...sounds like a good indie film. Oh, well. First things first. Hollywood's up-and-comers can call me after I draft something.

Write on!